Saturday, July 5, 2008

New music discoveries (10cc and The Wailin' Jennys)

I've just discoverd 10cc.

I know they've come and gone, but I hadn't heard the non-hits. They're chock-full of what I like (unique, pleasing melodies). The remind me of Flash In The Pan and Sniff 'n the Tears, as well as Queen. It has been suggested that Bohemian Rhapsody was influenced by the 10cc song Une Nuit A Paris, even though they came out about the same time. One of my favorites is "I Wanna Rule the World".

I found the The Wailin' Jennys on a recent Prairie Home Companion. In fact the songs they did on the show were some of their best (for me) work. I prefer their a cappella work is best. Their version of "The Parting Glass" is what I want played at my funeral, "Paint a Picture" is my favorite, and the "Summertime" cover plus "Bring Me a Lil' Water, Sylvy" have all made my playlists.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found and enjoy the Jennys! If you haven't seen them already, I've got a bunch of videos of your favorites on YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/politicalsailor

    I hope to adding a few more pretty soon...stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete