Friday, June 18, 2010

Chatting - About me

This article is a collection of things about me, for use as a conversation starter when talking to strangers.

Things I like:
  • Genealogy (family history research)
  • MUSIC: I am very selective, I like strong-yet-unique melodies, preferably songs that would be pop hits, if they had been marketed enough. For example: April Smith and the Great Picture Show, fol chen, Tegan And Sara, Las Ketchup, Peter Schilling, Nena, Anjulie, Amanda Jenssen, The Wailin' Jennys, Bitter:Sweet, Kristen Andreassen, Lenka, Melody Gardot, Metric, Panic Ensemble, Nobody Likes Kenny Some of the traditional commercial music that I like: David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust album), 10cc, Seals and Crofts, Gwen Stefani's Sweet Escape, Gorillaz's Clint Eastwood, The Waitresses, Lilly Allen, Donna Lewis,The Motels, Joe Walsh, Colin Hay, Ben Folds, Heart, Don McLean, Elvin Bishop, Bad Company, Foreigner, George Winston, P. D. Q. Bach, Helen Reddy, Styx, Pink Floyd, Sway by the Pussycat Dolls, The Moody Blues, Fleetwood Mac, Keith Green, Pomplamoose, Craig Nuttycombe, Jim Croce
  • MOVIES: How to Train Your Dragon, Mary and Max, The Princess Bride, Field of Dreams, The Fifth Element, Cold Comfort Farm, Shawshank Redemption, Waterworld, Emélie, Chocolat, Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind, Office Space, Real Genius, Big Man on Campus, The Royal Tenenbaums, 1944, Die Laughing, The Keep, UHF, The Man with One Red Shoe, Lies and Videotape, Lady Jane, Diva, Bull Durham, The Natural, The Sting, Con Air, Repo Man, Wallace and Gromit, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, The Last Unicorn, The Full Monty, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Blues Brothers
  • TV: Modern Family, House, Glee, Community, Parks and Recreation, Coupling, Picking Daisies, Dollhouse, Men Of A Certain Age, Who Do You Think You Are?, Posh Nosh, Faces of America
  • Projects: I have a geneology website, and am currently building a different, massive-scale website.
When I was in sixth grade, I sat in the "green room" of the Tonight Show. I saw Mickey Rooney and sat next to Susan St. James.

My wife is a fan of Donny Osmond and the Korean "boy band" DBSK/TVXQ. She is working to finish college online. She wants to teach ESL in Korea.

When I was in high school, I was a yearbook photographer. We brewed beer in the darkroom, right next to the vice-principal's office.

I have loved twice and lost once.

My ex-girl friend is a lesbian.

I had head and neck cancer (squamous cell) 5 yrs ago.

My brother-in-law has built his own 747 flight simulator. He's flown around the world to help others build them, including the king of an Arab nation.

My family has volunteered at a tiger sanctuary.

Our family eats lutefisk for Christmas dinner.

When I was young, I could play tennis for hours.

I've slept in a Cheyenne Indian teepee.

I had a small part in a local performance of the play "Lil Abner".

What I've done:
  • cleaned a butcher shop after school
  • cleaned a body shop after school
  • owned a landscaping business
  • lumberjack (posts and poles)
  • computer store sales
  • custom software programmer
  • desktop publisher (subcontracted for one of Mel Gibson's businesses)
  • printer
  • semiconductor manufacturing
  • IT dept
  • facilities technician (eg air conditioning and building automation)

Places I've been:
  • most of the western US
  • Toronto
  • London
  • western and southern Germany, plus parts of Switzerland and Austria
I am married, and have a 20 yr old daughter, three cats and a dog (cockapoo).

About these photos: my dog Peanut playing with a squirrel; snow doesn't fall often in Texas - a snowman my daughter and I made, my wife and daughter walking in "the Woods"; a mourning dove nested in our porch light, had three babies; installing an Italian epitaxial reactor at a former workplace; jumping a pile of sawdust on a trail bike in the Big Horn mountains; Lil Abner play; some critters found at my work place.
















































Click on the globe to see who I've chatted with, so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment